The Outsiders Webquest
Directions: To help you better comprehend The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton, go to the websites shown in blue on this webquest. Then, answer the questions on a separate piece of paper. Write the answers in your own words. If you must copy something word-for-word from a website, make sure to put quotes around it so you don't plagiarize. Please use your best writing. If it's messy, you will re-do the assignment.
1. Click on S.E. Hinton's biography. Read and list five interesting facts that you learned about the author ofThe Outsiders. (The arrows on the right side of the screen will make the screen go up and down.)
2. Click on books. Choose and summarize two of S.E. Hinton’s novels (not The Outsiders.)
3. Click on movies. Choose two movies to summarize in your own words. (Only basic facts are given for each movie. Use those facts to write summaries of what you learned.)
*The Outsiders is set during the early 1960's.
4.List three things that you learned about 1960's culture.
*The Soc's (short for socials) drive Corvairs.
5. List three things that you learned about this 1960's car.
*The Greasers are influenced by 1960's rock 'n' roll culture.
6. List three things that you learned about 1960's rock 'n' role fashion.
*One type of clothing that sets the Soc's apart from the Greasers is a madras shirt.
7. What is a madras shirt?
*Paul Newman is a movie star who is mentioned at the beginning of the novel. Although he might seem inconsequential, he helps put the time period into perspective. View the web-site dedicated to Paul Newman and answer the relating questions.
8. Paul Newman was in many movies. List at least two of Paul Newman's movies.
9. Why might Ponyboy, the main character in The Outsiders, idolize Paul Newman; in other words, what is so great about Paul Newman that others would admire and look up to him?
*Elvis Presley was another person whom the Greasers idolized. In fact, one would say that they based their style on this very famous man. Read over the information about Elvis, and answer the questions that follow.
10. Provide three interesting facts about Elvis Presley.
11. Why do you think many teenagers looked up to this celebrity?