Week 9: January 1-5
Monday, January 1
- No School
Tuesday, January 2
- Debate Unit introduction
- Take notes from the powerpoint on your notes sheet
- Practice debate: sneaking food into the movie theater
Wednesday, January 3
- Read article and highlight the main ideas.
- Using the guidelines in the article, watch Mrs. Miller draft an argument for Cats vs. Dogs on the board.
- Independently, draft an argument about Cats vs. Dogs using the debate outline.
- Rotating Debate activity: Either/Or list
Thursday, January 4
- Continue practicing refutation: Either/Or game at tables.
- Practice Public Speaking Skills. Watch a minute of each of the following clips and take notes about what the presenters are good at and bad at.
- Practice public speaking in small groups at tables.
- If time allows, do a practice partner debate.
Friday, January 5
- Writer's Notebook: what has been the hardest part of debate for you so far? What could you do to improve?
- Watch two debates. For the first one, fill in the debate assessment sheet with Mrs. Miller. Repeat the activity by yourself with the second debate.
- Get with your debate team. Fill out the Gathering Information Sheet after you read the pro and con article for your topic. Today this will be individual research.